" /> " />
Message sent from:

Frequently Asked Questions

If your particular question is not answered here then please do contact the school via our contact us page.

    School Attendance

  • What are school opening and closing times?

    School starts at 8:50am each day and all pupils will be ready to pick up in the afternoon at 3:20pm each day. Children can come into school from 8.40am.  

  • What do I do if my child is late to school?

    The register is taken at 850am.  If your child arrives later than 850am, please bring your child to the school office where they will be signed in by a member of staff.  

  • What do I do if I am late to pick up my child?

    There are times when parents are late collecting their child from school, if this is going to happen we ask that school is informed and the expected delay is given as soon as you are able to contact. If you are unable to collect your child and alternative pick-up arrangements are made, please let the office know who is coming to pick up your child. 

  • Can I send someone else to pick up my child?

    If you need someone else to come to school to collect your children please speak either speak to the class teacher in the morning or leave a message with the office. Each child has a data overview sheet with people who are allowed to collect them. If a person arrives to collect your child and isn't on this list, we will need confirmation from a parent/carer before we release your child to them. 

  • How do I report my child's absence from school?

    Telephone or email the school on the day of the absence before 9.15am and inform the school office . A message can be left on the answer machine if they are not available.

  • When are the school holidays?

    Information regarding dates can be found here

  • Can I take my child on holiday during term time?

    Attending school is a compulsory obligation that parents must adhere to and therefore you should avoid taking your child out of school. If you wish to have a special case considered then you are required to complete a request for leave of absence form which can be requested from the school office or found here

  • How will I be informed if there is an enforced school closure?

    You will be contacted via email and marvellous me. Information regarding any closures will be updated on the front-page of our school website. See information about adverse weather here.

Lunches, food and drinks

  • How much is a school dinner?

    It is £2.85 and is payable via parent pay for KS2 only, EYFS and KS1 have government funded free school meals. 

  • How do I contact regarding free school meals?

    Please follow the link here to see if you are eligible. All children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 receieve free school meals, this is government funded. 

  • How much is milk/how to pay for milk?

    Milk is availible for EYFS and KS1 children. Milk is delivered for free to children until their 5th Birthday. If you would like to purchase daily milk for your child see the cool milk website.

  • Is water available in class?

    Children are asked to bring in water bottles so they can drink water during the school day. 

  • What should I put in my child's packed lunch?

    We encourage children to bring a healthy lunch to school which could include items such as fruit, vegetables, pasta or rice salads, yoghurts. We ask that children do not bring nuts to school as some children in school have allergies.  See our healthy eating information here


  • Where can I park at school?

    There is parking along the road outside the school entrance. Please refrain from parking directly in front of the school and residential drives. 

Communication and Clubs

  • How can my child join an after-school club?

    Here are our current club offers. Please contact the office for more information. 

  • What do I do if I need to see a teacher?

    You can talk to a member of the class team before or after-school or, alternatively, arrange a meeting via the office or class email address. 

  • How can parents/carers help?

    We ask that parent support pupils by reading at home and practicing times tables and number facts.

    We also ask that you familiarise yourself with your child's class page where you can find more information on how to help. 

    We may ask for support regarding school trips, please let your class teacher know if you are open to volunteer. 

  • How do you communicate with parents?

    We communicate through

    • Tapestry Online Journal (Reception Class)
    • Class emails 
    • Office emails 
    • Marvellous Me 
  • Do you have a school council?

    Yes we do. They are elected every September and there is a representative from year groups in Caterpillars, Cocoons and Red Admirals class. The council are key in producing fundrasising ideas and ensuring pupil voice is heard. 

  • How will my child be able to contribute their views at school?
    • School Council
    • Pupil Voice interviews
    • Play leader support during play-times 
  • Do you have a breakfast club?

    Yes we do, please see here

  • Do you offer support for children regarding well-being and mental health?

    Yes, we have a highly trained councillor who visits every Friday to support children with their well-being, confidence and support during home situations. Please see here for more information. 


  • How can I protect my child when using online technology?

    See our information on internet saftey here

  • What should I do if I am worried about my child's progress?

    If you have any  concerns about your child’s progress we ask that you arrange an appointment to talk to your child’s class teacher.

School Uniform

  • Where can I buy branded school uniform from?

    School uniform information is available here.

Health Issues

  • What do I do if my child is prescribed medication?

    If your child needs to have medication at school you must complete a form at the school office.

    All medication held on school premises is kept locked and secure.

  • What happens if my child has a medical/dental appointment?

    Please try to arrange medical appointments out side of school time. If this is unavoidable please inform the school office so it can be recorded on the register.

  • How long before my child can return to school after an illness?

    We ask that children remain at home until they are well enough to return to school.
    Sickness and stomach bugs – we ask that children remain at home for 48 hours after their last bout of illness to ensure that infections do not spread.

  • What happens if my child has an accident at school?

    We have many first aid trained adults who can offer reassurance and first aid to pupils who are injured at school.

    If the injury is significant we would inform parents and appropriate first aid would be given and of course any serious injury we would involve the medical services as soon as possible.

  • What do I do if my child has headlice?

    If your child has headlice we ask that you treat them quickly to ensure that they do not spread. If we notice that your child has headlice during the school day we may contact you to inform you. 

New Families and Starters

  • How do I apply for a school place?

    See information here

  • Can I visit the school?

    Of course, we encourage visitors to see our warm and vibrant school environment in action. 

  • I have questions about my child starting in reception, who should I contact?

    Please either contact the office or Mrs Bradbury, our reception class teacher, directly.

    Reception Class Contact: egglets@st-marks.e-sussex.sch.uk

Other Questions

  • Is there a guide for the vocabulary and acronyms used in Primary Schools?

    We do appreciate that a lot of terminology is used within primary schools and many parents or carers may not be familiar with these terms. A guide has been produced that will hopefully help you understand many of the terms or phrases you may come across during your childs’ educational journey. Please see a guide here

  • Where do I locate lost property?

    You should request access to view our lost property items via our reception staff. Attempts will be made to identify property and parents/carers informed if the item in question is labelled with the pupil name. Lost property is kept for a reasonable period of time after which it will be disposed of appropriately.

  • What does SEND / SENDCo mean?

    SEND stands for Special Educational Needs and disabilities. A SENCO is the special needs coordinator for a school. This is a statutory role and every school has to have one.  The SEND Code of Practice (2015) for schools defines SEND as:

    A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.  

    A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she: 

    • has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age
    • has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.

    The role of the SENCO is to ensure that children who fall into this category have the correct provision and their needs and rights are met.  The SEND Code of Practice outlines their duties in more detail. If you would like to look at this document you will find it at -


  • What specialist services and expertise are available/ do we have access to at St. Mark's?

    Within school:

Hit enter to search